Early History of Saint Columbkille



Prior to 1870       Brighton’s Catholics were members of St. Mary of the Assumption in Brookline

1870                     St. Columbkille Church opened on Bennett Street 

1880                     Newly constructed St. Columbkille Church opened on Market Street

1901                     St. Columbkille Elementary School opened (1st - 8th grade)

1914                     Two-year girls-only high school commercial course diploma program started

1923                     Convent was built for the Sisters of St. Joseph on Market Street

1925                     Commercial courses for girls taught at the Sparhawk House next to the convent, formerly the health center

1927                     Added a third year to two-year girls’ program. Girls could then attend Mt. St. Joseph for a final year and earn a high school diploma

1932                     New high school building completed and the first co-ed high school class began their freshman year

1934 & 1935        First graduating classes from the new high school (all girls)

1936                     First co-ed class graduated from the high school

1953                     Two-story Parish Institute Hall located on Market and Arlington Streets was converted into 6 classrooms

1955                     Third floor added with 9 classrooms and named St. Columbkille Junior High School



Compiled by James Downey, class of 1962